Fiona after the performance of Alles unter einem Hut in Schaffhausen
Fiona Powell, born 1970 in Christchurch, New Zealand, second child of Brigitte and Kit Powell
Studied singing at Zurich Conservatorium (Teaching Diploma, Teacher: Jane Mengedoht) and at the University of Tel Aviv (MA, Teacher: [Tamar Rachum](Tamar Rachum)). Performed for several years as free lance soprano soloist. Taught singing at Winterthur Conservatory. Since 2006 married to architect Roger Boltshauser, two children: Moris and Timon.
Many of Kit Powell's works for soprano were written for Fiona:
- Amselbaum (1992, soprano and piano) Song cycle on texts (German) by Brigitte Powell
- After Babel (1995, soprano, piano & brass ensemble: 2 tpts, 2 tbns) texts by Michael Harlow
- Clara Schumann (1996, soprano, piano and tape) Texts (German): Clara Schumann
- Verschiedene Tiere (1997, four songs for soprano, horn or trombone and piano) texts by Jürg Schubiger
- Ophelia Songs (1999, soprano and piano) 4 Hamlet texts
- Scheint denn die Sonne heut nicht? (2001, soprano and piano) 9 texts (German) by Robert Walser.
- Das Ausland (2003, soprano & trombone) texts by Jürg Schubiger
- Today is the Piano’s Birthday (2003, soprano & piano) texts by Michael Harlow
- 5 Schwitters Songs (2005, soprano, contralto and piano) 5 texts (German & English) by Kurt Schwitters
- Alles unter einem Hut (2008, soprano & string orchestra) texts by Jürg Schubiger